I’ve been advising businesses for more than a decade at this point. Many of these businesses venture out onto the web and begin creating and promoting content for the first time.
One of the early challenges that these businesses will encounter is the difficulty of getting people (their intended audience) to pay attention. It can be really disheartening to spend your time creating content, only to have little to no engagement. It can seem like no one is listening, like no one cares, like your work doesn’t matter.
- It’s the video with one comment.
- It’s the blog post with none.
As you look at all of the content that goes viral, it can be very discouraging to see yourself so far away. How hard can it be, right?
There are three things I tell these clients and maybe it’ll help you too.
- It’s difficult to get people to care and if you’re struggling you should assume that others are too. This is natural. So, relax.
- Success doesn’t happen overnight. These things take time. So, be patient.
- And most importantly, more people are watching than reacting. You never know who’s noticed but hasn’t said anything. So, keep going.
Throughout my career on the internet, I’ve routinely gotten more work from those quietly paying attention on the sideline than those liking, commenting, and sharing.
Give yourself some time, and keep working at it. Trust me, someone will notice.