There are hundreds of types of companies you could start. This is not intended to be a comprehensive step by step to cover every kind of company.
This is for someone looking to start a service business, or informational products company (e.g Photographer, SEO, Social Media Consultant, Life Coach, Real Estate Agent, Blogger.)
ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS
- What does your company do? Write down what your business does as if you are explaining it to an 8 year old.
- Who do you want to work with? Be specific. (if you need help, use our target audience Mad-libs tool.)
- What is your company name? Check to see if anyone else is using it and if the website name is available.
- What are 3 problems you solve?
- What are 3 services/products you offer?
- What are you going to charge for your services?
- How are you going to invoice people or collect payments?
- What other types of businesses can you partner with? Look for related companies. (e.g. SEOs work well with Web Developers, Massage Therapists work well with Chiropractors, Real Estate Agents work well with Mortgage Brokers.)
FIND THESE PEOPLE
- Register the business. I registered as an LLC. (Ask your accountant)
- Get a Tax ID number (EIN)
- Get business cards.
- Build a website on your own domain.
- Get a branded email address. No Gmail, no Yahoo, no AOL. It should be a firstname.lastname@example.org email address.
- Have your attorney write your agreements. If you are not an attorney, do not write your own agreements.
- Write down all of the reasons someone would choose not to work with you. Acknowledge these objections and determine the paths around it.
- Go find clients/buyers.